What will drive the markets this week?
Stocks finished lower last week with major US indices notching fourth weekly losses. Globally, investors remain concerned about the economic outlook in the absence of renewed aid from Washington, the November presidential election, and rising COVID-19 infections in the U.S. and Europe.
This week brings the highly anticipated Palantir Technologies IPO, key economic reports from the U.S. the U.K., and Germany, and kicks off another earnings session with reports from PepsiCo, Constellation Brands, and Micron Technology among those expected. The week also kicks off the first US presidential debate between incumbent Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Here’s a look at events that will drive the market this week.
Monday, September 28:
- Thor Industries earnings
Tuesday, September 29:
- First U.S. Presidential Debate
- U.S. Conference Board Consumer Confidence (September)
- U.S. S&P/CS Housing Price Index (HPI) (July)
- U.S. Trades Balance in Goods (September)
- Chinese Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) (September)
- Chinese Caixin Manufacturing PMI (September)
- Earnings: Micron Technologies & McCormick
Wednesday, September 30:
- Palantir Technologies Direct Listing
- U.K. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) (Q2)
- U.K. HPI (September)
- German Unemployment Change (September)
- U.S. GDP (Q2)
- U.S. ADP Nonfarm Employment Change (September)
- U.S. Pending Home Sales (August)
- Canadian GDP (July)
- Japan Tankan Large Manufacturers Index (Q3)
- Market Holiday in South Korea for the Full Moon Festival
Thursday, October 1:
- Earnings: PepsiCo, Conagra Brands, Constellation Brands, Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Reserve Bank of India Makes Interest Rate Decision
- German Manufacturing PMI (September)
- U.K. Manufacturing PMI (September)
- French Manufacturing PMI (September)
- Eurozone Manufacturing PMI (September)
- Eurozone Unemployment Rate (August)
- U.S. ISM Manufacturing PMI (September)
- U.S. PCE Price Index (August)
- Market Holidays in Mainland China, Hong Kong, and South Korea for Mid-Autumn Festival, National Day, and Full Moon Festival, respectively
Friday, October 2:
- Eurozone Consumer Price Index (CPI) (September)
- U.S. Nonfarm Payrolls (September)
- U.S. Unemployment Rate (September)
- U.S. Michigan Consumer Expectations (September)
- Market Holiday in China, Hong Kong, India, and South Korea for National Day, Mid-Autumn Festival, Mahatma Gandhi Jayanthi, and Full Moon Festival, respectively.