What will drive the markets this week?
Stocks dropped last week across the globe, as technology stocks across the world tracked losses on Wall Street. US indices – the Dow, the S&P500, and the Nasdaq lost more than 2%, a situation that replicated in European markets where banking stocks replaced tech stocks.
This week, the tech sector is likely to remain in focus with investors gauging if short-term pandemic boosted players such as Zoom Video and DocuSign are good for the long term whether tech heavy-weights such as Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft are likely to go back to the old tricks.
A few big companies will also announce earnings results this week, including Lululemon Athletica, Peloton, Game Stop, and Dave & Buster’s Entertainment.
Several economic reports are also scheduled including the JOLTS survey, jobless claims update, the federal budget update, and inflation data.
Attention will also turn back to Washington, D.C., this week as the Senate returns to the session starting Tuesday. We provide a short brief on what will drive the market this week.
Monday, September 7:
- U.S. markets closed for Labour Day.
Tuesday, September 8:
- Lululemon Athletica reports Q2 earnings.
- Slack reports Q2 earnings.
- Casey’s General Stores earnings.
- Equifax holds a conference call where top executives will discuss market and business revenue trends.
Wednesday, September 9:
- U.S. The JOLTS survey.
- BigCommerce earnings
- GameStop earnings.
- Lucid Motors unveils its first all-electric sedan.
Thursday, September 10:
- U.S. Jobless claims update.
- Peloton Interactive earnings.
- Chewy earnings.
- SunPower holds a Capital Markets Day.
Friday, September 11:
- U.S. Federal budget update and inflation data.
- Kroger earnings.