What will drive the markets this week?
Global stocks closed mixed last week as investors reacted to key inflation data (rising consumer prices) in the US and renewed concerns about the omicron Covid-19 variant in Europe.
This week, investors will follow comments from the two-day Federal Open Market Committee’s (FOMC) meeting to see whether tight labor market conditions and rising inflation will spur the Fed to accelerate tapering its monthly bond-purchasing program. The FOMC meeting begins on Tuesday.
In addition to the FOMC, investors will also digest a range of economic data, including producer price index (PPI), retail sales from across the world. A range of companies including Adobe, Accenture, FedEx, and Jabil report earnings.
Monday, December 13:
- India Inflation Rate (November)
Tuesday, December 14:
- U.S. Producer Price Index (November)
- FOMC Meeting
- China Industrial Production (November)
- China Retail Sales (November)
- Japan Industrial Production (October)
- EA Industrial Production (October)
Wednesday, December 15:
- Earnings: Lennar, Trip.com, and Nordson report.
- U.S. Retail Sales (November)
- NAHB Housing Market Index (December)
- FOMC Meeting
- Japan Jibun Bank Flash Manufacturing and Services PMI (December)
Thursday, December 16:
- Earnings: Adobe, Accenture, FedEx, and Jabil report.
- U.S. Housing Starts and Building Permits (November)
- U.S. Industrial Production (November)
- Markit Flash Manufacturing and Services PMI (December)
- EA Markit Flash Manufacturing and Services PMI (December)
Friday, December 17:
- Earnings: Darden Restaurants reports.
- EA Inflation Rate (November)