What will drive the markets this week?
Global stocks closed higher last week, boosted by strong third-quarter earnings. As markets head into the last week of October, analysts believe that all three major US indices are still poised to finish October with gains. Technology stocks that came under pressure last week will drive markets this week as they report earnings.
More than 30% of the S&P 500 companies are reporting Q3 earnings this week. But investors will most likely pay attention to Big Tech earnings, including Apple, Amazon, AMD, Alphabet, Microsoft, Visa, Twitter, Texas Instruments, Logitech, eBay, and Spotify, among others, reporting throughout the week.
Investors will also digest economic data from across the world including Japan Leading Economic Index (August), S&P Case-Shiller Home Index (August), China Industrial Profits (September), Japan Industrial Production (September) & U.S. Employment (Q3).
Monday, October 25:
- Earnings: Facebook, HSBC, and Canon.
- Japan Leading Economic Index (August)
Tuesday, October 26:
- Earnings: Microsoft, Alphabet, Twitter, MSCI, S&P Global, Visa, Capital One Financial, UBS, Robinhood, Ameriprise Financial, Eli Lilly, Novartis, Texas Instruments, AMD, UPS, 3M, Logitech, and Lockheed Martin.
- S&P Case-Shiller Home Index (August)
- CB Consumer Confidence (October)
- China Industrial Profits (September)
Wednesday, October 27:
- Earnings: Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, Kraft Heinz, Thermo Fisher Scientific, GSK, eBay, Spotify, General Motors, Ford, and Boeing.
- U.S. Durable Goods Orders (September)
- EA Loans to Households and Companies (September)
- Japan Retail Sales (September)
Thursday, October 28:
- Earnings: Apple, Amazon, Shopify, Sony, MasterCard, Comcast, Starbucks, AB InBev, YUM! Brands, Sanofi, Merck, and Gilead Sciences.
- U.S. PCE (Q3)
- U.S. Pending Home Sales (September)
- EA Economic, Industrial, and Services Sentiment (October)
- ECB Press Conference and Interest Rate Decision
- Japan CPI (September)
- Japan Industrial Production (September)
Friday, October 29:
- Earnings: ExxonMobil, Chevron, AbbVie, and Colgate-Palmolive.
- Personal Income (September)
- Michigan Consumer Sentiment Final Reading (October)
- U.S. Employment (Q3)
- EA Flash Inflation Rate (October)