What will drive the markets this week?
On Friday last week, stocks in the US fell to end their third straight weekly decline. Despite a small rally on Friday morning, as investors were briefly comforted by the jobs report, stocks fell later in the day to end the day and week in losses. All major US indices ended the day in the red zone.
The biggest market mover for the week was Friday’s jobs report, which was solid and failed to ease fears that the Federal Reserve would keep aggressively hiking interest rates to fight inflation.
For this week, the markets will be closed on Monday to observe Labor day. Several companies will report in the week, including Gamestop, Asana, DocuSign, and Kroger, among others. Apple will host its annual product launch event on Wednesday, where it’s expected to unveil a new series of the iPhone 14, with bigger screens and faster chips, along with a new series of Apple Watches and an update to the AirPods Pro.
Investors can also expect the latest PMI survey readings on Tuesday, followed by the release of the Fed’s Beige Book on Wednesday. On Thursday, European Central Bank (ECB) policymakers will conduct their monetary policy meeting, with officials widely expected to raise interest rates.
Below are events set to move markets in the week.
Monday, September 5
- U.S. Markets Closed for Labor Day
- China Southern Airlines (ZNH) and Legend Biotech (LEGN) report earnings
Tuesday, September 6
- UiPath (PATH), GitLab (GTLB), Guidewire Software (GWRE), and HealthEquity Inc. (HQY) report earnings
- S&P Global Composite PMI (Aug)
- ISM Non-Manufacturing/Services PMI (Aug)
- Australia GDP Growth Rate (Q2 2022)
Wednesday, September 7
- Gamestop (GME), Casey’s General Stores (CASY), and Asana (ASAN) report earnings
- Apple hosts “Far Out” September Showcase
- U.S. Trade Balance (July)
- Fed Beige Book Release
- BOC Policy Meeting/Interest Rate Decision
Thursday, September 8
- DocuSign (DOCU), National Beverage Company (FIZZ), and FuelCell Energy (FCEL) report earnings
- ECB Policy Meeting/Interest Rate Decision
- China Inflation Rate (Aug)
- Consumer Credit (July)
Friday, September 9
- Kroger (KR) reports earnings
- Wholesale Inventories (Jul)