What will drive the markets this week?
Last week ended with all US indices in the green for the week with the exception of the Dow. On Friday, movements in the US equity markets were relatively mixed, with the release of the July Jobs report coming in as better-than-expected. The Dow index lost 0.35% for the week, while the S&P 500, and the Nasdaq composite advanced 0.5% and 2.5% respectively.
This week, corporate earnings reports won’t be as pronounced as the last few weeks, with most S&P 500 companies having already reported. Companies that will report in the week include AIG, BioNTech, Sysco, Wynn Resorts, Norwegian Cruise Line, Disney, and Fox Corporation, among a few others.
The latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) which is expected to provide an important update on the rate of consumer inflation, and The Producer Price Index (PPI), are expected to be announced on Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
Later on Friday, the Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index (MCSI)’s preliminary reading for August is expected. It is an important measure of consumer confidence, along with the release of second-quarter GDP figures out of the U.K.
Events expected to move markets in the week
Monday, August 8
- Dominion Energy (D), AIG (AIG), BioNTech (BNTX), Tyson Foods (TSN), Barrick Gold (GOLD), Palantir Technologies (PLTR), and News Corporation (NWS), Novavax (NVAX), Acadia Pharmaceuticals (ACAD), and Primerica (PRI) report earnings
- Consumer Inflation Expectations (July)
Tuesday, August 9
- Emerson Electric (EMR), Sysco (SYY), Welltower (WELL), Roblox (RBLX), Coinbase (COIN), Warner Music Group (WMG), XP (XP), Hyatt Hotels (H), Wynn Resorts (WYNN), Ralph Lauren (RL), Planet Fitness (PLNT), IAC/InterActiveCorp (IAC), H&R Block (HRB), Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH), and iRobot Corp. (IRBT) report earnings
- NFIB Business Optimism Index (July)
- IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism Index (Aug)
Wednesday, August 10
- Disney (DIS), Manulife Financial (MFC), Fox Corporation (FOXA), Wendy’s (WEN), Bumble (BMBL), and Pan American Silver (PAAS) report earnings
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) Inflation Rate (July)
- Wholesale Inventories (June)
Thursday, August 11
- Brookfield Asset Management (BAM), Baidu (BIDU), Illumina (ILMN), Rivian Automotive (RIVN), Aegon (AEG), and Dillard’s (DDS) report earnings
- Producer Price Index (PPI) Inflation Rate (July)
Friday, August 12
- Broadridge Financial Solutions (BR) and Spectrum Brands (SPB) report earnings
- Import and Export Prices (July)
- Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index - Preliminary Reading (Aug)
- U.K. GDP Growth Rate - Preliminary Estimate (Q2 2022)