What will drive the markets this week?
Key indices in Europe, India, and the USA ended last week in gains. US equities closed the week and month, recording their best performing month for July in three months. Thanks to better-than-expected earnings, a surge in both growth and tech stocks rallied the indices to gains.
This happened despite an interest rate hike by the US Fed. The Federal Reserve announced another rate hike of 75 basis points (bps) earlier in the week. The Fed also released a report showing an unexpected decline in the second-quarter gross domestic product (GDP), suggesting a pullback on future rate hikes.
For this week, The US government is expected to release several key reports on jobs next week that could have an impact on market movements and the Fed’s next policy changes.
The week will also be packed with earnings announcements. The energy sector could be a standout with more reports due from major oil companies. OPEC+ will meet on Wednesday to discuss oil production quotas, as the U.S. puts pressure on its members to raise output.
Monday, August 1
- HSBC (HSBC), Activision Blizzard (ATVI), Devon Energy Corp (DVN), Aflac (AFL), SBA Communications Corp (SBAC), On Semiconductor (ON), Monolithic Power Systems (MPWR), and Mosaic Company (MOS) report earnings.
- U.S. S&P Manufacturing PMI, Final (July)
- U.S. ISM Manufacturing Index (July)
- Construction Spending (May)
Tuesday, August 2
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), S&P Global (SPGI), Starbucks Corporation (SBUX), Caterpillar (CAT), PayPal (PYPL), Gilead Sciences (GILD), Airbnb (ABNB), Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY), Diamondback Energy (FANG), Marriott International (MAR), Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC), and Uber Technologies (UBER) report earnings.
- JOLTS (June)
- U.S. Vehicle Sales (July)
- China Caixin Services and Composite PMI (July)
Wednesday, August 3
- CVS Health Corporation (CVS), Booking Holdings (BKNG), Moderna (MRNA), Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN), Metlife (MET), Fortinet (FTNT), Honda Motor Company (HMC), Yum! Brands (YUM), Lucid Group (LCID), Allstate Corporation (ALL), eBay (EBAY), Albemarle Corporation (ALB), Robinhood (HOOD), and The Clorox Company (CLX) report earnings.
- OPEC meeting
- U.S. ISM Services Index
- U.S. Factory Orders
- EA Retail Sales (June)
Thursday, August 4
- Eli Lilly (LLY), Alibaba Group (BABA), Amgen (AMGN), ConocoPhillips (COP), Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO), Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD), Cigna Corporation (CI), Duke Energy Corporation (DUK), Intercontinental Exchange (ICE), Thomson Reuters (TRI), and Atlassian (TEAM) report earnings.
- Bank of England Decision on Interest Rates
Friday, August 5
- Western Digital Corporation (WDC), Liberty Media Corp (FWONK), EOG Resources (EOG), and DraftKings (DKNG) report earnings.
- Nonfarm Payrolls (July)