What will drive the markets this week?
Last week ended in red for most US indices. Despite the pullbacks on Friday, US equities saw a rebound from the previous week’s losses to close the week in sizable gains. Friday saw the S&P 500 fall nearly 1%, as results from Snap led to a downturn in social media shares, but the US index finished 2.6% higher for the week. The Dow rose 2%, while the NASDAQ climbed 3.3% for the week.
Several events are poised to affect the financial markets this week. Corporate earnings from Wall Street’s prominent companies are perhaps the most expected in the week.
Earnings from Microsoft and Google are expected on Tuesday, While Facebook’s parent company is expected to announce its second-quarter earnings on Wednesday. Apple and Amazon will follow on Thursday.
Other companies expected to report earnings include Visa, Mastercard, The Coca-Cola Company, McDonald’s, Ford Motor Company, General Electric, Boeing, Southwest Airlines, and ExxonMobil, among many others.
Here is a list of events expected to move markets in the week:
Monday, July 25
- Newmont Corp. (NEM), Ryanair (RYAAY), and Whirlpool (WHR) report earnings
- Chicago Fed National Activity Index (June)
- Dallas Fed Manufacturing Index (July)
Tuesday, July 26
- Microsoft (MSFT), Alphabet (GOOG), Visa (V), Coca-Cola Company (KO), McDonald’s (MCD), United Parcel Service (UPS), Texas Instruments (TXN), Raytheon (RTX), Mondelez International (MDLZ), Chubb Limited (CB), 3M (MMM), Stryker (SYK), General Electric (GE), UBS (UBS), Moody’s (MCO), Centene (CNC), General Motors (GM), Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Chipotle (CMG), MSCI Inc. (MSCI), and Enphase Energy (ENPH) report earnings
- Day 1 of July FOMC Policy Meeting
- S&P Case-Shiller National Home Price Index (May)
- Freddie Mac National House Price Index (May)
- New Home Sales (June)
- CB Consumer Confidence (July)
- Richmond Fed Manufacturing Index (July)
Wednesday, July 27
- Meta Platforms (META), Qualcomm (QCOM), T-Mobile (TMUS), Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Boeing (BA), ADP (ADP), CME Group (CME), Sherwin-Williams (SHW), Humana (HUM), General Dynamics (GD), Norfolk Southern (NSC), Ford (F), Shopify (SHOP), Kraft Heinz (KHC), O’Reilly Automotive (ORLY), Banco Santander (SAN), Cognizant (CTSH), Lloyds Banking Group (LYG), Barclays (BCS), Hilton (HLT), Suncor Energy (SU), Hess Corporation (HES), Canon (CAJ), Duke Realty (DRE), Spotify (SPOT), Garmin (GRMN), Deutsche Bank (DB), Etsy (ETSY), and Morningstar (MORN) report earnings
- Day 2 of July FOMC Policy Meeting; Interest Rate Decision
- Retail and Wholesale Inventories (June)
- Durable Goods Orders (June)
- Goods Trade Balance (June)
- Pending Home Sales (June)
Thursday, July 28
- Apple (AAPL), Amazon (AMZN), Mastercard (MA), Pfizer (PFE), Merck (MRK), Thermo Fisher (TMO), Comcast (CMCSA), Intel (INTC), Linde (LIN), Sanofi (SNY), Honeywell (HON), American Tower (AMT), Altria (MO), Northrop Grumman (NOC), Canadian Pacific Railway (CP), Edwards Lifesciences (EW), Keurig Dr. Pepper (KDP), Hershey (HSY), Valero Energy (VLO), Stellantis (STLA), Xcel Energy (XEL), T. Rowe Price Group (TROW), Sirius XM (SIRI), Southwest Airlines (LUV), Willis Towers Watson (WTW), Roku (ROKU), and First Solar (FSLR) report earnings
- U.S. Real GDP Growth Rate - Advance Estimate (Q2 2022)
- Real Consumer Spending (Q2 2022)
- Kansas Fed Composite Index (July)
Friday, July 29
- ExxonMobil (XOM), Procter & Gamble (PG), Chevron (CVX), AbbVie (ABBV), Astrazeneca (AZN), Sony (SONY), Charter Communications (CHTR), Enbridge (ENB), Colgate Palmolive (CL), Takeda Pharmaceuticals (TAK), Phillips 66 (PSX), and CBOE Global Markets (CBOE) report earnings
- Personal Income and Spending (June)
- Personal Consumption Expenditures (PCE) Price Index (June)
- Chicago Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) (July)
- Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index - Final Reading (July)