What will drive the markets this week?
On Friday last week, US stocks closed sharply higher. This was after several days of sell-offs, and the gains were not enough to make up for losses earlier in the week. The rebound was fueled by upbeat earnings, strong economic data, and easing fears of a larger-than-expected interest rate hike by the Federal Reserve.
This week will be an eventful one dominated by corporate earnings reports, as earnings season continues. Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, Lockheed Martin, Netflix, Tesla, United Airlines, AT&T, Snap, and more will report results.
We can also expect important updates on the U.S. housing market, with June housing starts and building permits on Tuesday, followed by existing home sales on Wednesday.
Overseas, the European Central Bank (ECB) is widely expected to raise its benchmark interest rate for the first time since 2011. The U.K. and Japan are set to release their latest inflation figures tracking the month of June, providing an update on global price pressures.
Here are events expected to affect market movements this week.
Monday, July 18
- Bank of America (BAC), IBM (IBM), Charles Schwab (SCHW), Goldman Sachs (GS), and Prologis (PLD) report earnings
- NAHB Housing Market Index (July)
Tuesday, July 19
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Novartis (NVS), Lockheed Martin (LMT), Netflix (NFLX), Halliburton (HAL), Citizens Financial (CFG), and J.B. Hunt (JBHT) report earnings
- Housing Starts (June)
- Building Permits (June)
- U.K. Employment Growth (April)
Wednesday, July 20
- Tesla (TSLA), Abbott Laboratories (ABT), Crown Castle (CCI), CSX Corp. (CSX), Kinder Morgan (KMI), Biogen (BIIB), Discover (DFS), Baker Hughes (BKR), Nasdaq Inc. (NDAQ), Las Vegas Sands (LVS), Equifax (EFX), Northern Trust (NTRS), United Airlines (UAL), and Harley Davidson (HOG) report earnings
- Existing Home Sales (June)
- U.K. Inflation Rate (June)
Thursday, July 21
- Danaher (DHR), AT&T (T), Phillip Morris (PM), Union Pacific (UNP), Marsh & McLennan (MMC), Blackstone (BX), Capital One Financial (COF), IQVIA (IQV), Travelers (TRV), Freeport-McMoran (FCX), Dow Inc. (DOW), Snap Inc. (SNAP), Tractor Supply Co. (TSCO), Quest Diagnostics (DGX), Domino’s Pizza (DPZ), American Airlines (AAL), and Mattel (MAT) report earnings
- Philadelphia Fed Manufacturing Index (July)
- Conference Board Leading Index (June)
- ECB Policy Meeting/Interest Rate Decision
- Japan Inflation Rate (June)
Friday, July 22
- Verizon (VZ), NextEra Energy (NEE), American Express (AXP), and Schlumberger (SLB) report earnings
- S&P Global Composite PMI - Flash Estimate (July)
- U.K. Retail Sales (June)