What will drive the markets this week?
Last week, the S&P 500 closed with a modest gain, although it fell from its peak during the session. Despite a rally in Tesla, the broader market failed to respond strongly, with investors cautiously anticipating the Federal Reserve’s upcoming policy meeting and inflation data. European shares declined on Friday, concluding a lackluster week as investors adopted a wait-and-see approach before key updates from the U.S. Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank (ECB). In the Asia-Pacific region, most markets traded higher following the S&P 500’s new high for 2023 and the third consecutive day of gains for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
This week holds vital economic indicators as we await crucial information regarding inflation and the Federal Reserve’s interest rate decision.
On Tuesday, the Labor Department will disclose the most recent consumer price figures, followed by producer price data on Wednesday. Additionally, the Federal Reserve will commence its two-day policy meeting on Tuesday, leading to an eagerly anticipated decision on interest rate hikes, whether to proceed with increases or opt for a pause, to be announced on Wednesday.
Furthermore, later in the week, we can expect updates on retail sales and consumer sentiment. Notable companies such as Oracle, Adobe, Kroger, and Lennar Corporation will also be releasing their earnings reports, adding to the market’s focus and analysis.
Events expected to move the markets this week
Monday, June 12
- Oracle (ORCL), ECARX Holdings (ECX), and Streamline Health Solutions (STRM) will report earnings.
Tuesday, June 13
- NFIB Optimism Index (May)
- Consumer Price Index (May)
- Burford Capital Limited (BUR) and Motorcar Parts of America (MPAA) will report earnings.
Wednesday, June 14
- Producer Price Index (May)
- Federal Reserve Interest Rate Decision
- Anterix (ATEX) and Aurora Cannabis (ACB) will report earnings.
Thursday, June 15
- U.S. Retail Sales (May)
- Empire State Manufacturing Survey (May)
- Philadelphia Fed Manufacturing Survey (May)
- Adobe (ADBE), The Kroger Company (KR), Lennar Corporation (LEN), Jabil (JBL), and Cognyte Software (CGNT) will report earnings.
Friday, June 16
- Triple Witching
- University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index, Preliminary Reading (June)