What will drive the markets this week?
Despite a good start earlier last week, US Equity markets fell following steep losses in the second half of the week. These declines were mainly a consequence of concerns about inflation, with the latest report on Consumer Price Index (CPI) by the labor department showing the annual rate of inflation rising to a new 40-year-high of 8.6% in May.
For this week, the spotlight in the US will be on the Fed’s two-day policy meeting, which is to kick off on Tuesday, 14th of June. Market watchers will be anticipating the Federal Open Market Committee’s key interest rate decision on Wednesday, in which the U.S. central bank is expected to raise its benchmark federal funds rate by 50 basis points.
Also expected from the meeting include the release of several important economic indicators including the Producer Price index (PPI) and retail sales figures for the month of May.
As for corporate earnings, Oracle Corporation will report its earnings on Monday. Adobe and Kroger will follow on Thursday.
Monday, June 13
- Oracle (ORCL) report earnings
- Federal Reserve Speech by Lael Brainard
- Consumer Inflation Expectations (May)
Tuesday, June 14
- Day 1 of June FOMC Meeting
- Producer Price Inflation (PPI) (May)
- IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism Index (June)
Wednesday, June 15
- Day 2 of June FOMC Meeting; Interest Rate Decision
- NY Empire State Manufacturing Index (June)
- NAHB Housing Market Index (June)
- Retail Sales (May)
Thursday, June 16
- Adobe (ADBE) and Kroger (KR) report earnings
- Housing Starts (May)
- Building Permits (May)
Friday, June 17
- Industrial Production (May)
- Manufacturing Production (May)
- Conference Board Leading Index (May)