What will drive the markets this week?
US stocks lost much ground last week after disappointing earnings reports by technology companies and the prospect of a tightening monetary policy as the Federal Reserve is expected to raise interest rates for the second time in a row. The earnings season continues this week and investors will parse reports from Pfizer, AMD, S&P Global, Airbnb, Starbucks, AIG, Prudential, Moderna, Royal Dutch Shell, and Uber, among others. In economic data, key updates include data on U.S. labor market.
Investors will keenly monitor minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) which takes place Tuesday and Wednesday. The Fed is widely anticipated to raise its benchmark Federal Funds rate by 50 basis points (bps), to a range of 75-100 bps, following a 25-bp in March. The Fed is expected to begin reducing its record $9 trillion balance sheet from June.
Here is a quick summary of events that will drive markets this week.
Monday, May 2:
- Earnings from Moody’s, Expedia, Diamondback Energy, Lowe’s, and Avis.
- U.S. ISM Manufacturing PMI (April)
- U.S. Construction Spending (March)
Tuesday, May 3
- Day 1 of May 2022 FOMC Meeting
- Earnings from Pfizer, Estee Lauder, Advanced Micro Devices, S&P Global, BP, Airbnb, Starbucks, AIG, Thomson Reuters, Hilton, and Prudential.
- Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) (March)
- U.S. Durable Goods Orders (March)
- Eurozone Unemployment Rate (April)
Wednesday, May 4:
- Day 2 of May 2022 FOMC Meeting; rate decision expected
- Earnings from Novo Nordisk, CVS, Booking Holdings, Regeneron, Uber, Marriott, Moderna, MetLife, Exelon, Cognizant, Allstate, Yum! Brands, and eBay.
- ADP Nonfarm Payrolls Report (April)
- U.S. ISM Services PMI (April)
Thursday, May 5:
- Earnings from Royal Dutch Shell, ConocoPhillips, Anheuser-Busch, Becton Dickinson, Dominion Energy, Intercontinental Exchange, and ING Group.
Friday, April 6:
- Earnings from Cigna.
- U.S. Nonfarm Payrolls (April)
- Canada Employment Report (April)
- Germany Industrial Production (March)