What will drive the markets this week?
The Nasdaq saw its highest quarterly percentage increase since June 2020, contributing to a 1% surge on Wall Street. Cooling inflation rates have raised hopes that the Federal Reserve will take a softer approach towards interest rate hikes. Despite a volatile period for the banking sector, European stock markets, including the Stoxx 600, ended the quarter on a high note.
London stocks ended the week on a positive note, boosted by gains in healthcare and consumer staples. The news of decreasing U.S. inflation data has led to anticipation of a softer monetary policy from the Federal Reserve.
In the Asia-Pacific region, the technology sector saw renewed interest, with JD.com leading the way with a 6.5% increase. Concerns over an impending banking crisis were dismissed by some investors.
The dollar rose against the euro, but is on track for its fifth straight weekly loss versus the common currency. Slower U.S. consumer spending growth has raised hopes that the Federal Reserve will take a less aggressive approach towards hiking interest rates. Bitcoin was 1.1% higher at $28,340 in the cryptocurrency market.
This week will be a holiday-shortened trading week in the U.S., with markets closed on Friday. The latest reports on the labor market will be released, including the February Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) report, ADP’s National Employment Report tracking private sector payrolls, and the March nonfarm payrolls report.
S&P Global and the Institute for Supply Management (ISM) will release PMI readings tracking the health of the U.S. manufacturing and service sectors. Officials from OPEC+ will hold a virtual meeting on Monday to discuss the possibility of further supply cuts to shore up oil prices.
Events expected to move the markets this week
Monday, April 3, 2023
- S&P Global Manufacturing PMI - Final Reading (Mar)
- ISM Manufacturing PMI (Mar)
- Construction Spending (Feb)
- OPEC+ Virtual Meeting
Tuesday, April 4, 2023
- Acuity Brands Inc. (AYI), MSC Industrial Direct Company (MSM), DLocal Limited (DLO), Novagold Resources (NG), and Lindsay Corporation (LNN) report earnings
- JOLTS Job Openings (Feb)
- Factory Orders (Feb)
- IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism Index (APR)
Wednesday, April 5, 2023
- Woodside Energy Group (WDS), ConAgra Brands (CAG) and The Simply Good Foods Company (SMPL) report earnings
- ADP National Employment Report (Mar)
- U.S. Imports and Exports (Feb)
- S&P Global Composite PMI (Mar)
- ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI (Mar)
Thursday, April 6, 2023
- Constellation Brands Inc. (STZ), Lamb Weston Holdings (LW), RPM International Inc. (RPM), Levi Strauss & Co. (LEVI), and WD-40 Company (WDFC) report earnings
- Total Vehicle Sales (Mar)
Friday, April 7. 2023
- Markets Closed for Holiday (Good Friday)
- Sigma Lithium Corp. (SGML) reports earnings
- Nonfarm Payrolls Report (Mar)
- Consumer Credit (Feb)