What will drive the markets this week?
Last week was the worst week for stocks and Wall Street, and other regions also recorded declines across various sectors. All indices on Wall Street ended the week in losses, and it was the first decline for the Nasdaq in 2023.
Friday also saw stocks in Europe decline, with the pan-European Stoxx 600 index finished trading down 1%. Most sectors and major bourses closed in the red, with travel and leisure stocks leading losses.
Asian stocks also slipped on Friday as Japanese shares eked out modest gains as a slew of strong earnings reports offset investor anxiety ahead of BoJ Governor nominations.
The latest inflation reports will be in the spotlight this week, with the January Consumer Price Index (CPI) out on Tuesday, and the Producer Price Index (PPI) due on Thursday. Also on Tuesday, the U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs will hold a hearing on cryptocurrencies and digital assets, amid calls to regulate the industry and safeguard crypto investors.
On Wednesday, last month’s retail sales figures could offer insights into consumer confidence and willingness to spend. More updates on the housing market will arrive with January building permits and housing starts due Thursday.
Earnings season continues with reports from The Coca-Cola Company, Airbnb, DoorDash, Marriott International, Cisco Systems, and Paramount Global, among others.
Events expected to influence financial markets in the week
Monday, February 13, 2023
- Cadence Design Systems (CDNS), Arista Networks (ANET), Eversource Energy (ES), Arch Capital Group Ltd. (ACGL), FirstEnergy Corp. (FE), SolarEdge Technologies (SEDG), Palantir Technologies (PLTR), and Avis Budget Group (CAR) report earnings
- Consumer Inflation Expectations (Jan)
Tuesday, February 14, 2023
- Coca-Cola Company (KO), Zoetis Inc. (ZTS), Airbnb (ABNB), Marriott International (MAR), Suncor Energy (SU), Ecolab Inc. (ECL), TC Energy Corp. (TRP), Devon Energy (DVN), Exelon Corp. (EXC), GlobalFoundries Inc. (GFS), Nu Holdings (NU), and Restaurant Brands International (QSR) report earnings
- NFIB Business Optimism Index (Jan)
- CPI Inflation Rate (Jan)
Wednesday, February 15, 2023
- Cisco Systems (CSCO), Analog Devices Inc. (ADI), Equinix Inc. (EQIX), Shopify Inc. (SHOP), Southern Copper Corporation (SCCO), Synopsys Inc. (SNPS), American International Group (AIG), The Kraft Heinz Company (KHC), and Biogen Inc. (BIIB) report earnings
- Retail Sales (Jan)
- Retail Inventories (Dec)
- Industrial Production (Jan)
- NAHB Housing Market Index (Feb)
Thursday, February 16, 2023
- Applied Materials Inc. (AMAT), The Southern Company (SO), Constellation Energy (CEG), DoorDash (DASH), Paramount Global (PARA), Hyatt Hotels Corporation (H), Dropbox Inc. (DBX), and Hasbro Inc. (HAS) report earnings
- Building Permits (Jan)
- Housing Starts (Jan)
- PPI Inflation Rate (Jan)
- Philadelphia Fed Manufacturing Index (Feb)
Friday, February 17, 2023
- Deere & Company (D), ENI (E), NatWest Group (NWG), PPL Corporation (PPL), CenterPoint Energy Inc. (CNP), and Corebridge Financial (CRBG) report earnings
- Conference Board Leading Index (Jan)