What will drive the markets this week?
Last week, global stocks tumbled on Friday as a report from the U.S. Labor Department in the day -showing solid job additions in January could cause the labor market to allow for interest rates to remain high. However, the report also pointed to resilience in the U.S. economy.
On Friday, European stocks experienced a surge, due to increases in healthcare and energy firms, which overshadowed worries about US interest rates remaining at high levels for a longer period than anticipated. This was due to the growing optimism in regard to the European economy’s future prospects.
This week promises to be a more relaxed one compared to the past week’s full schedule of corporate earnings, employment numbers, and the latest FOMC meeting.
The Walt Disney Company, PepsiCo, Activision Blizzard, PayPal, Uber Technologies, Toyota, and Honda are some of the companies that will be releasing their earnings reports.
The University of Michigan’s Consumer Sentiment Index (MCSI) will be released on Friday and will give an indication of consumer confidence in the U.S.
Additionally, the U.K. will release its fourth-quarter gross domestic product (GDP) figures on Friday.
Events expected to influence financial markets in the week
Monday, February 6, 2023
- Activision Blizzard (ATVI), Simon Property Group (SPG), Cummins Inc. (CMI), ON Semiconductor Corp. (ON), Tyson Foods (TSN), Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO), and Pinterest (PINS) report earnings
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
- Linde (LIN), BP (BP), Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX), Fiserv Inc. (FISV), KKR & Co. (KKR), Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG), Fortinet (FTNT), Prudential Financial (PRU), DuPont (DD), Illumina Inc. (ILMN), and Enphase Energy (ENPH) report earnings
- U.S. Trade Balance (Dec)
- IBD/TIPP Economic Optimism Index (Feb)
Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- Toyota Motor Company (TM), The Walt Disney Company (DIS), CVS Health Corp. (CVS), Equinor (EQNR), Eaton Corporation (ETN), CME Group (CME), Uber Technologies (UBER), Dominion Energy (D), Emerson Electric Co. (EMR), O’Reilly Automotive (ORLY), Yum! Brands Inc. (YUM), and Equifax (EFX) report earnings
- Wholesale Inventories (Dec)
Thursday, February 9, 2023
- AbbVie (ABBV), PepsiCo. (PEP), Philip Morris International (PM), TotalEnergies (TTE), Unilever (UL), S&P Global Inc. (SPGI), PayPal Holdings (PYPL), Duke Energy Corp. (DUK), and Thomson Reuters Corp. (TRI) report earnings
Friday, February 10, 2023
- Enbridge Inc. (ENB), IQVIA Holdings Inc. (IQV), and Honda Motor Company (HMC) report earnings
- Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index - Preliminary Reading (Feb)
- U.K. GDP Growth Rate - Preliminary Reading (Q4 2022)